London – 24 October 2013 – SpotX, the trusted video advertising platform for premium publishers, today revealed an infographic providing an overview of the European online video advertising market based on the first ever comprehensive study into the adoption of programmatic video advertising across the five biggest advertising markets in Europe -UK, France, Spain, Germany and Italy. The infographic is available to download from the SpotX website. The research, conducted by IHS and called ‘Video goes programmatic: Forecasting the European online video advertising landscape’ is compiled from extensive research through interviews with both advertising agencies and publishers in these markets, analysing trends and growth in the region.
Key findings in the research include:
• The European programmatic video market will grow an average 77.1 per cent a year from 2012 to 2017, reaching €626.5m across Europe’s ‘Big Five’ markets.
• The market will mature quickly, and by 2017, one third of all European online video advertising revenue will be generated programmatically, up from 4.6 per cent in 2012.
• The market will move from infancy to maturity in 5 years. Programmatic video will grow tenfold between 2012 and 2015 in the Big 5 European markets. From €35.9m in 2012 it will amount to €368.8m by 2015 and surge to €626.5m by 2017.
• By 2017, programmatic video will represent 33.2% of all online video advertising revenue.
• Programmatic buying will be the core driver of online video advertising growth over the next five years.
• The UK was the most advanced of the Big 5 in 2012 and will remain the largest programmatic market through 2017, closely followed by France.
• The value of the video programmatic market in France in 2012 was €5.5m and is predicted to rise to €157.9m by 2017.
• The value of the video programmatic market in Germany in 2012 was €3.3m and is predicted to rise to €92.3m by 2017.
• The value of the Spanish video programmatic market in 2012 was €4.2m and is set to rise to €88.7m by 2017.
• The value of the online advertising market in Italy in 2012 was €2.5m and is set to rise to €63.2m by 2017.
Andrew Moore, European Managing Director, SpotX, explains, “The SpotX European online video advertising infographic provides a useful insight into the state of the online video advertising market across Europe giving projections for growth across the five main countries. We commissioned this report as we knew that each market was different but no one had properly benchmarked it. The study confirms that while the online video industry has been growing exponentially across Europe, each country is at a different stage of adoption and capability. This research helps define the growth for each market and explain the different factors publishers need to understand in order to create a strategy for programmatic selling.”
SpotX is the trusted video advertising platform for premium publishers, connecting them with advertisers, agencies, trading desks, DSPs and ad networks to ensure they achieve maximum revenue for their inventory. SpotX shows premium publishers and more than 1,000 world class advertisers that there is a better way to buy and sell digital video – with trusted solutions that guarantee total transparency, brand safety and real-time control in an open market or directly executed through the SpotX platform. Headquartered north of Denver, SpotX has offices in New York, London, and Sydney and is ranked 6th on comScore for video ads served, reaching over 200 million unique visitors in more than 80 countries each month. For more information, please visit www.spotxchange.com and follow SpotX on Twitter @SpotX.