SpotX Survey Shows Interactive Video Ads Drive Greater Post-ad Action
than Standard Video Ads on Mobile OTT
SINGAPORE – February 24, 2021 – SpotX, the leading global video advertising and monetisation platform, has released analysis that show interactive video ads on mobile OTT increase a consumer’s post-ad action versus standard video ads shown on streaming platforms in Southeast Asia.
In tandem with SpotX, research firm Milieu Insights conducted controlled A/B tests for three of its brand advertiser clients, in FMCG, retail and ecommerce, that ran mobile OTT campaigns in the Philippines and Indonesia. Each test included 2 variants, 1 standard video ad, and another variant featuring the same underlying video, but with interactive features included. The research approach used a monadic design, where each variant was viewed by a unique group of respondents.
The sample survey size for each test variant was n=500, and was representative of the online population in Indonesia and the Philippines. The interactive ad variant consisted of clickable elements such as a branded overlay or a branded border end card that included call-to-action buttons like “Click to learn more”.
Results showed that interactive ad variants saw consistent uplift for key measures related to post ad actions-taken. For example, in a question shown to respondents that listed various actions they might take after viewing the ad, the interactive variant saw 29% uplift on their likelihood to visit the brand’s website, and 17% uplift on their likelihood to click on the ad to learn more. These findings were supported by actual campaign performance. Across six mobile OTT campaigns in Southeast Asia, the interactive ad variants delivered a 54% higher clickthrough rate (CTR) compared to the standard variant. All campaigns exceeded industry CTR benchmarks.
Additionally, viewers of the interactive ad variant saw 13% uplift on their likelihood to describe the ad as engaging and 8% uplift on their likelihood to say they liked the ad compared to the standard variant.
“The popularity of SpotX Studio reflects the acknowledgement by advertisers that creative ads matter,” said Shrivardhan Sarda, Senior Director Demand Facilitation APAC, SpotX. “However, being more creative doesn’t have to be hard and what this research shows is that by making simple but impactful interactive additions to existing video ads can significantly increase effectiveness particularly on OTT which is monopolising consumer attention”.
OTT in Asia is dominated by smartphone consumption, which allows for ads to be fully interactive. SpotX’s soon-to-be-released “OTT is For Everyone” APAC research study shows that 86% of OTT viewers in Indonesia and 71% of OTT viewers in Philippines most frequently watch video on their smartphone. Mobile OTT has earnt a strong reputation delivering industry-leading KPIs like completed view rates, cost per completed view and viewability.
SpotX launched SpotX Studio in the fourth quarter of last year. A creative production service that adds interactive elements to standard OTT and premium video ads, the offering is already utilised by more than fifteen brands across Southeast Asia including those in the auto, FMCG, QSR, retail, ecommerce, finance, technology and entertainment categories.
Visit www.spotxshowcase.tv to find out more.
SpotX is the leading video advertising platform shaping digital video and the future of TV globally. The company’s solutions enable media owners to monetize content across all screens and streams while providing advertisers with direct access to brand-safe, premium inventory. With best-in-class technology purpose-built for video, SpotX’s trusted, privacy-compliant solutions are employed by some of the largest media owners in the world including A+E Networks, Crackle Plus, The CW Network, Dentsu CCI, Discovery, Fox Corporation, fuboTV, LG, Microsoft, Newsy, Pluto TV, Roku, Samsung, Sling TV, and Vudu. In the US, SpotX works with nearly all major OTT stakeholders and reaches 4 out of 5 viewers of ad-supported CTV, or 70 million households. SpotX is a subsidiary of Bertelsmann’s RTL Group and is headquartered in Denver with 10 offices throughout the US, EMEA, and APAC regions. Learn more at www.spotx.tv.