- Private marketplaces explode to >40% of business as use of programmatic becomes more sophisticated
- “We are witnessing a stunning revolution in mobile video” – Mike Shehan, CEO of SpotX
- Publishers begin to use programmatic to execute direct sold deals for holistic yield visibility
- SpotX global expansion sees three international offices open and 28% global headcount growth
DENVER – August 5, 2015 – SpotX, the leading video monetization platform for publishers, continued its rapid growth trajectory in 2015, with three new offices opened, 28% global headcount growth and an 800% increase in mobile video spend during 1H 2015.
As publishers use programmatic more proficiently, SpotX has seen a massive increase in premium inventory sold through automated trading, primarily through increased use of private marketplaces, which now comprises over 40% of the impressions managed on its platform. Compared to 1H 2014, private marketplace use has grown 112%.
The Denver-based company’s platform is able to house both programmatic (private and open marketplace) and direct sold campaigns in a one-stop solution for publishers, allowing full transparency into yield optimization across deal and video inventory types.
Product development undertaken to give publishers a holistic inventory management platform saw ad dollars spent on mobile video through SpotX’s platform grow 800% year on year in Q2/2015, according to Mike Shehan, CEO, SpotX.
Across the regions
- EMEA: Q2/2015 growth in mobile video ad spend – over 1100% (YoY), 213% (QoQ)
- APAC: Q2/2015 growth in mobile video ad spend – over 2200% (YoY), 96% (QoQ)
“We are witnessing a stunning revolution in mobile video,” Shehan said. “Brand advertisers are now wholeheartedly embracing mobile, which has traditionally been used for direct response goals, such as performance-based or cost-per-acquisition marketing,” he explained.
“We expect to see mobile video CPMs grow significantly this year as advertisers embrace the medium for big-budget, brand-building video campaigns.”
Media spend managed through SpotX’s platform grew 67% year on year, with mobile continuing its steep rise, now accounting for over 19% of total spend, up from 4% a year ago. For Q2/2015, this represents 800% growth in mobile video ad spend year on year, and 69% growth quarter on quarter.
Across the regions
- EMEA: Mobile accounted for 11% of media spend via SpotX in Q2/2015, up from 0.7% in Q2/2014
- APAC: Mobile accounted for 29% of media spend via SpotX in Q2/2015, up from 3% in Q2/2014
Since the leading European entertainment network, RTL Group, made a substantial investment in SpotX late last year, the business has expanded into programmatic TV, and launched new platform features including campaign forecasting, pacing alerts, advertiser-level transparency into programmatic direct transactions, and improved app monetization capabilities, as well as enhanced fraud prevention safeguards.
“SpotX has forged ahead with product developments to maintain its position as the most robust video monetization platform for publishers,” Shehan added.
“Our platform allows the publisher to control the transaction layer, rather than relying on third-party platforms for their monetization. Publishers are responding by using programmatic to not just execute open marketplace buys, but to create controlled private marketplace environments and evaluate direct sold efforts in a single platform for full visibility over inventory yield.”
SpotX opened offices in Amsterdam, Hamburg and Singapore this year and added 54 to the company headcount. It signed 140 new platform clients, including the likes of E.W. Scripps, Meredith Local, TV Insider, The Enthusiast Network, Digital Trends and Frequency, as well as a host of household names that are expanding the role programmatic plays in their sales strategy.
The company has also become part of RTL Digital Hub, a collaboration designed to leverage the synergies of different players in the video ecosystem under RTL Group’s umbrella.
- European entertainment network RTL Group acquired a 65% share in SpotX in July 2014.
- Over 140 new platform clients signed, with the likes of E.W. Scripps, Meredith, TV Insider, The Enthusiast Network, Digital Trends, and Frequency, adding more premium inventory to the platform.
- Company headcount grew from 196 to 250 in 2015 – up 28% year on year company-wide, and up 173% year on year outside of the US. The engineering team accounts for 41% of total headcount.
- New offices opened in Singapore, Amsterdam and Hamburg in 2015.
SpotX is a video inventory management platform for premium publishers and broadcasters, helping them manage all of their demand sources from one place, and monetize content across all screens. The SpotX platform offers publishers unprecedented transparency and insight, creating a safe, controlled environment that allows them to connect with advertisers, and achieve the highest revenue possible.
Premium publishers and mobile app developers trust SpotX as the independent solution that helps them better understand the buying behavior of today’s leading brands and maximize inventory yield across private marketplace, programmatic direct and open marketplace deals. SpotX’s ad serving, leading programmatic technology, and open and extensible architecture help simplify the complex digital video ecosystem for global publishers.
Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, SpotX also has offices in New York, San Francisco, London, Sydney, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Belfast and Singapore. In July 2014, leading European entertainment network RTL Group acquired a 65% stake in SpotX, which was founded by CEO Mike Shehan and CFO and COO, Steven Swoboda, in 2007. For updates, please follow SpotX @SpotXchange or visit www.spotxchange.com