The way consumers watch TV is changing rapidly. In this increasingly fragmented ecosystem, marketers have new and unique ways to reach consumers, as well as an opportunity to drive brand discovery and, ultimately, return on investment.
“SpotX enabled HPE to use an innovative, unique approach to target and reach audiences within live streaming sports content, across every screen type. This has successfully supported HPE’s brand awareness objective and media efficiency goals.”
The number of connected TVs across the globe has increased by 38.4 percent in the past few years from 486.7 million in 2015 to 673.4 million in 2017, with estimates that hit 759.3 million for the end of 2018 (Statista). The U.S. remains the leader in CTV and OTT adoption — accounting for over half of all global OTT viewing time (Lafayette).
The 2018 FIFA World Cup produced one of the most entertaining and most watched sporting events of the year and proved to be a watershed moment for streaming TV — in terms of overall viewership for a live event, time spent, and diversity in device usage (Conviva).
As the World Cup is held once every four years, 2018 was the first year that OTT/CTV presented a truly viable option for reaching World Cup audiences at scale.
SpotX teamed up with Hewlett Packard Enterprise and its agency Digitas to create a media-driven, OTT solution that would enable Hewlett Packard Enterprise to effectively reach World Cup viewers within the big moments — before, during, and after the games.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise worked with Digitas to develop an innovative media plan with a focus on premium live sporting events. SpotX is a leader in digital video, including OTT supply, and its relationships with vMVPDs and directly with media owners provide advertisers with premium OTT inventory at scale.
- Drive brand awareness and consideration among key target audiences
- Associate the Hewlett Packard Enterprise brand with environments endemic to professional and personal interests
- Reach a diverse, progressive IT decision-maker audience
- SpotX provides its advertisers like Hewlett Packard Enterprise with a team of media experts who build custom solutions designed to make buys smarter, easier, and more transparent
- For Hewlett Packard Enterprise, we developed a Total Video campaign to be activated within FIFA World Cup content across premium live streaming sports networks
- The campaign consisted of OTT inventory (in-game and shoulder content, live and on-demand), delivered predominantly on CTV and supported by desktop and mobile to ensure maximum reach
- Provided high-value, customized reporting including game-level information and delivery
- 4,426,803 completed views (which equates to approximately 4.2 household rating points)
- Overall video completion rate 96 percent (outperforming the primary goal of 70 percent)
- Full-episode player placement saw a Click through rate of 2.17 percent from 17,314 clicks
SpotX helped HPE and Digitas leverage FIFA World Cup inventory through our live streaming sports product across SpotX premium broadcasters and vMVPDs. With education, trust and pro-activeness, all 3 parties came together in unison to create an environment of premium audiences at scale, with game level reporting and insight.